Saturday, January 2, 2010

RE: Golf loses a Legend: William J Powell


Golf Pioneer William J Powell passed away yesterday with his family by his side. Mr Powell was truly a legend in the game of golf and he will be dearly missed. I recieved a call from my publisher Debert Cook last night informing me of Mr. Powell's passing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Powell and his Daughter Renee at the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2002. He was a warm and quiet man who made a lasting impact on the game of golf and in the lives of all the people he helped and mentored.

I am so happy that Mr. Powell had the opportunity to see the tribute issue The African American Golfers Digest released earlier this year. Mr. Powell was a hero and an inspiration to me and I will miss him.

R.I.P. William J. Powell

AP Story:

1 comment:

  1. The golf industry embraced him for what he stood for, you've done well to recognize the movement. A lot of secrets died with Mr. Powell, we'll just say, hope Tiger Woods comes back to finish his masterpiece. It seems the boy who became King, will have to change his diet. 3 in a row at St. Andy is nothing to toy with.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Followers